Friday, December 29, 2017

night subway ride


I’m listening to Earth, Wind and Fire
On the subway and the music is loud
And I lift my hood and take off my hat because it’s hot.

I stand slack against the door.
Casual. Western, even. I wonder
what’s going on for me and then the song changes
To a David Guerra song and it’s true,
I’m listening to a Spotify playlist called
“Songs to Sing in the Shower.”

It’s been my second favorite playlist this week.

I think we’re all just jostling into one another,
Bumping cartilage and viscous in ways we don’t understand,
All being much sweeter than we know.
All showing up as God for one another.
And not really knowing what that means never
Felt so like taking my clothes off, and slowly
Walking into an Appalachian mountain lake at night.

I don’t know what I’m doing, but sometimes,
Neither does the rock next to the buckled little tree
During a blushing dusk.
Neither do you.

It’s worth getting to know more about, I think.
Supremely worth it. So when you enter the room
in my mind, it feels destined for me to realize that these are the days
When I’d write more poetry.



No comments:

Post a Comment