Monday, April 28, 2014

In Thinking of You Today

I am led along the backstreets
of this ancient city
I peel a feather from beneath its
history of lost steps,
trace the dissolving paths of
pigeons  in the grey sky
above the silhouettes of two children
weaving through the dark world of
crinkled trousers and scuffed shoes,

follow a leaf as it tumbles into
the feet of a man standing still in
the street, his palms open, head tilted
toward the sky, muttering in prayer.

I once became what
I saw, what I touched;
now, only sometimes –
in waking from dreams, or
when your eyes dilate in
the faded light –
am I stirred into the soft
sensation of unraveling,
of returning:

there, in some twilight, I heed the
distant tinkering, and begin
to walk down to the waterfront,
toward what you may
come to know in me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment